DANCE and PERFORMANCES are ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENTS of the DANCE CURRICULUM. Please refer to Teacher Pages, Dance Syllabus, and Dance Contracts as agreed and signed by BOTH students and parents/guardians from beginning of year as needed.
STUDENTS ARE TO ALWAYS BE PREPARED TO DANCE AND PERFORM AS ARE ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENTS
ALL STUDENTS ARE TO TO UPHOLD PROFESSIONALISM AND RESPECT FOR DANCE AND OTHERS
ZERO TOLERANCE FOR DISRESPECT
STAGE PRESENCE, AESTHETICS, AND SHOWMANSHIP IN FRONT OF AUDIENCES ARE ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENTS OF DANCE
*Dance and Performance MAIN percentage of grade in DANCE class. Students are REQUIRED to DANCE and PERFORM in Dance class and performances. In RARE instance where dance student cannot DUE TO OWN FAILURE IN ELIGIBILITY (Unsatisfactory Grades, School and/or Class Misconduct, Lack of Required Supplies/Dance Attire, School Probation, Suspensions). MUST COMPLETE ASSIGNMENTS AND NOT ALLOWED TO BE BACKSTAGE AT SHOW. NO REFUNDS ON COSTUMES PURCHASED FOR STUDENT MISCONDUCT. DANCE COSTUMES MAY BE DONATED TO DANCE DEPARTMENT FOR PARENT VOLUNTEER/family
REQUIRED NON-PERFORMANCE ASSIGNMENTS:
In the RARE, EXTENUATING Circumstances, for those NOT performing in REQUIRED Performances and Shows for DANCE for WHATEVER REASON MUST PROVIDE:
1. IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION TO MS. SHAW AS SOON AS AWARE NOT PERFORMING
2. IMMEDIATE PARENT/GUARDIAN NOTIFICATION EMAIL WITH REASON WHY NOT ABLE TO PERFORM AND DANCE AS AGREED AND REQUIRED PER DANCE SYLLABUS, SIGNED BY STUDENT AND PARENT/GUARDIAN IN START OF SCHOOL YEAR: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. OFFICIAL MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION AND DOCTOR NOTE WITH ABILITIES, LIMITATIONS, RESTRICTIONS, DATES, TIME PERIOD
NTI (Not Turned In) = Z = 0%
MUST COMPLETE ALL ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENTS AS ASSIGNED IN CLASS FOR CREDIT AND GRADES BY 3:00 FRIDAY OF THAT SCHEDULED SHOW
-Hispanic Heritage Show DUE: by 3:00 10/18/19
-Winter Show: DUE by 3:00 12/13/19
-Black History Show: (February) DUE by 3:00 2/14/2020
-Spring Show: DUE by 3:00 4/24/2020
-Dance Finals Performances: DUE by 3:00 , TBA
1. DANCE ESSAY: Technique component
REQUIREMENTS: Grading Rubric
-MINIMUM 5 Paragraph Essay: Intro, 3 Body Detail, Conclusion
-Essay on the Song(s) selected, type of DANCE for their class dance for ANY required shows/performances
-RESEARCH WORK WITH REQUIRED SOURCES CITED
-->Bio on song/artists, dance genre
-->Why selected, themes
-->Genre/type of song
-->Genre/type of dance with terms, definitions, explanations, specific step names, what type of dance shoes are to be worn. Why? How are the steps executed?
--->What emotions are to be portrayed in dance? Why? How?
-ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION ONLY: email@example.com
-Subject Line: Spring Show Essay: Student First, Last Name, Period #
-12 pt. Font Times New Roman
- On 1st page: Student First and Last Name, Period #->upper right corner
--> TITLE: Centered, Bold Ex: "Mr. Smith's Song"
-Required multiple sources (3 or more) cited on last bibliography page.
-ALL Sources MUST be cited on last bibliography page. Google is a search engine, NOT a source
-NO sources = 0%
-ZERO TOLERANCE for Plagiarism = 0% AND SUBJECT TO FURTHER DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS Per School Education Code of Conduct
-51% of unoriginal other's work) = Plagiarism = 0%
-50% of unoriginal work = 50% or lower
-MUST BE STUDENT'S ORIGINAL WORK OF 51% OR MORE
- REQUIRED FORMAT: Subject Line: "Whatever Show, NON-PERF ESSAY, STUDENT FIRST AND LAST NAME, P#"
-Hispanic Heritage Show NON-PERFORMANCE Essay, JOHN DOE P1
-Winter Show NON-PERFORMANCE Essay, JANE DOE P7
-SUBJECT LINE NOT per Specs = 0% and/or pt deductions
DUE BY 3:00 of due date!
-20 pts. deducted for EACH Day, after 3:00 late
-NTI (Not Turned In) = 0%
-NOT TURNED IN PER THE SPECIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS SUBJECT TO GRADE = 0% AND/OR POINT DEDUCTIONS
2. REQUIRED, ASSIGNED Dance Studio Maintenance: Mirrors, Dance Studio, Costumes distribution assistance, etc. DUE Before Show(s)
3. Show Prep: Props, Music, DJ, Audience Etiquette, Choreography Assistance, Critical Feedback, Formations, Practices, Rehearsals DUE BEFORE Shows.
4. DANCE PERFORMANCE: with the assigned required aesthetics, class dance choreography, Stage Presence, and Showmanship Make-up Assignments in class for class audiences for the Required Performance Components of Dance Class Grade: Due the end of week of show and/or immediately following week as per calendar, show(s).
1. Aesthetics: appearance, hair, makeup, dance shoes dance costume
2. Choreography: the class show dance as instructed, prepared, planned, practiced in classes
3. Technique: form, posture, correct feet, dance genre and style specific moves, clean lines, time, beat, synchronicity, togetherness, flow
4. Stage presence, showmanship: facial expressions, emotion, energy, emotions, entertaining, performance aspects
ALL OF THE ABOVE ASSIGNMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED.
NTI (Not Turned In) = 0%
REQUIREMENTS NOT COMPLETE = 0%
*Dance and Performance MAIN percentage of grade in DANCE class. Students are REQUIRED to DANCE and PERFORM in Dance class and performances. In RARE instance where dance student cannot DUE TO OWN FAILURE IN ELIGIBILITY (Unsatisfactory Grades, MISCONDUCT IN CLASS AND/OR SCHOOL, School Probations, Suspensions) MUST COMPLETE ASSIGNMENTS AND NOT ALLOWED TO BE BACKSTAGE AT SHOW.
Students who cannot physically dance or perform due to medical reasons, Excused Absences and DOCTOR/MEDICAL Documentation with the prescribed limitations, restrictions, dates, time period, date of medical appointment if absence and SCHOOL EXCUSED ABSENCE due to appointment is REQUIRED. Please refer to Dance Syllabus and Somerset Handbook.
-REQUIRED: Parent/Guardian Email Notification
-REQUIRED: Medical Documentation, Doctor Note with prescribed limitations/restrictions, dates and time period
-REQUIRED: 5 Paragraph Min Essay per the Specifications
-REQUIRED: ALL ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENTS BEFORE show(s)
-REQUIRED: Make-up Performances to class audiences due to non-performance day of show(s)