PHYSIOLOGY / Health Science
Somerset Academy Charter High Silver Palms
TEACHER CONTACT INFORMATION
Phone: Call the school at (305) 257-3737 and leave a message. I will respond within the next 24 hours.
(Check the website for syllabus, supplies list, homework,
class projects, pictures, etc.)
Description: Anatomy and physiology is a one year course that involves the structure and function of the human body, as it pertains to how the body systems relate to one another in organization, adaptation, and homeostasis. This course will involve laboratory activities, projects, dissections, textbook material, models, diagrams, journal writings, and clinical studies. The material learned in this course can be applied to medical field careers, health and fitness careers, and biological research careers.
Materials: journal ( composition notebook), laboratory notebook, pencil, pen, college-ruled paper, drawing paper, graph paper, colored pencils or markers, glue stick, ruler, scissors, and index cards (3 x 5).
You may use these websites to get the weekly schedule, syllabus, powerpoints, lab directions, handouts, assignments, and additional science websites.
Your purpose for being in school is to learn. Any behavior that disrupts the learning process for you or your classmates will not be tolerated. The following behavior rules will be followed:
1. When the tardy bell rings, be in your assigned seat, quiet, and ready to work.
2. Bring a pencil or pen, paper, and textbook to class everyday.
3. Go to the restroom and drink water during the passing time.
4. No cell phones, mp3's, iPod's, and cameras to be used in our classroom.
5. No eating, chewing gum, chewing candy or drinking in class and no litter in our classroom.
6. No cheating on tests, quizzes, or assignments.
7. No profanity.
8. Always cooperate and respect the right of others.
B. Discipline Plan
Rewards for following rules:
1. Verbal and/or Written Praise.
2. Given Extra Credit.
3. Receive Token Awards.
4. Receive Outstanding Citizenship.
Consequences for not following rules:
1. 1st Offense = Verbal Warning (Redirect)
2. 2nd Offense = Teacher Conference and/or Seat Change
3. 3rd Offense = Phone Call Home
4. 4th Offense = Office Referral and Parent Conference
There are 5 ways to earn points toward one grade in this science class.
1. Human Anatomy and Physiology Notebook: You are responsible for completing each assignment on time. I will stamp each completed assignment and grade each assignment. All assignments are to be kept together, in order, and to be placed neatly in a classroom notebook and turned in when assigned.
2. Group Lab Projects: At times, you will work with others in a group or with a partner doing lab activities and projects. Everyone within the group is required to participate. I will give points for individual and group participation. You are also required to use a lab notebook for recording laboratory activities.
3. Quizzes: You are responsible for knowing the vocabulary and science topics from each chapter in the textbook.
4. Chapter Tests: At the end of each chapter, you will be tested over material covered in the chapter. The test involves multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, matching, short answers, and essay questions.
5. Citizenship: Good behavior and cooperation are important for learning. That is why citizenship makes up a percentage of your grade.
D. Grading Scale
90% - 100% = A
80% - 89% = B
70% - 79% = C
60% - 69% = D
0% - 59% = F
10% Home learning and Participation
30% Quizzes and Labs
40% Assessments and Projects
You Must bring in a re-admit slip, excused or not. You are responsible for making up any work that you missed. If you are absent on the day an assignment is due, you must turn it in on the day that you return.
It is your job to convince me that you are not cheating. Ways to convince me:
1. Keep Your Eyes On Your Own Paper.
2. Keep Your Answer Sheet Covered.
Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
G. ELECTRONIC DEVICES
There are to be no electronic devices such as, cellular phones, CD Players, IPods, MP3 Players, Game Boy, PSP’s, etc. in class. If one is seen or heard, it will be confiscated and given to the Ms. Fernandez There may be times when certain electronic devices will be utilized if students can demonstrate appropriate responsibility and discretion.
Please sign this page and return to Ms. Borges
I have read the class description and class requirements with my son/daughter.
Parent/Guardian Signature: ____________________ Date: ____________
Student Signature: _____________________________ Date: ____________
Contact number: ________________________________________________
Student Name: ____________________________ Class Period: ________